Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ruby Tuesday Cupcake Review

Review: Ruby Tuesday 16451 Excalibur Road Bowie, Md 20716
Flavors: Carrot Cake and Red Velvet 
Cost: $2.99 + tax & gratuity 
Score: 3.7
L-R: Red Velvet & Carrot Cake (Photo courtesy of Ruby Tuesday)

As noted earlier this week, Ruby Tuesday- a national chain based out of Tennessee- is now offering cupcakes on their permanent dessert menu. Patrons can choose from carrot cake or red velvet cupcakes that are priced sweetly at $2.99 (plus tax and gratuity) for two cupcakes. Thoroughly convinced that a national chain with ubiquitous locations couldn't possibly serve yummy and delectable cupcakes, I visited my local Ruby Tuesday in Bowie, MD and ordered one of each cupcake. 

Ruby Tuesday To Go Bag
Placing my order at the bar, the bartender was an entertaining fellow who had my order ready in less than 5 minutes. I feel the need to note that because the last time I visited Ruby Tuesday (over 4 years ago); it was at Pentagon City Mall where my feet and meal were abducted by a small furry creature. Neither my server nor management felt that it was a problem and their attitude reflected that. 

L-R: Carrot Cake and Red Velvet Cupcakes
Eager to test these babies out, I opened the box and the stench of artificial flavors came out. My brain registered that these cupcakes shouldn't be trusted or ingested. Nonetheless I tried the carrot cake cupcake first and to my surprise -it was yummy! Not only was it yummy but the cake was quite soft with no hints of artificial flavor. 

Red Velvet Cupcake
On the other hand, the red velvet cupcake reeked of artificial flavor. Although I have never been a huge fan of red velvet, I know what it should taste like and this tasted more like a bootlegged Hostess cupcake. The cupcake was soft however it was an artificial softness that I ultimately gave the side-eye to. Further the frosting was really cheap and industrial.

Smashed Carrot Cake Cupcake
Overall the cupcakes are a sweet treat that will satisfy your post dinner cravings. Further for suburbanites like me, we take what we can get and the getting is good! 

Ruby Tuesday on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are they really gluten free? I find it odd that ruby Tuesday can make a better gluten free cake than Betty Crocker.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...