Friday, September 21, 2012

The Black Street Awards: I'm from D.C.!


                               

Produced by BlackStreet.com, the Black Street Celebration Awards brings awareness and recognition to greatness within the African-American community. Helmed by BlackStreet.com founder and editor, Judith Jacques, the event was stellar from beginning to end. 


The awards ceremony was packed from the floor to the rafters

The awards ceremony was held on Monday, September 17th at the Millesime in the Carlton Hotel in New York. The evening was filled with glamour, grace, and of course celebration. I was excited to have been nominated by BlackStreet.com's food editor, Nadege Williams, and even happier to represent  D.C.
(L-R) Actor Isaiah Washington,
Jennifer Williams, Model & Host Bobby Roache'

Yummy bites served throughout the evening
The evening started with red carpet fanfare and press. Honorees and guests munched on  hors d'oeuvres while enjoying the open bar. Hosts for the event were model Bobby Roache' and the 2010 Miss Black USA, Osas IghodaroBeing surrounded by so many talented people I felt overwhelmed however the atmosphere was filled with love and celebration. 

Fellow honoree Brandon Frame and myself

Being nominated for 'Best Blog' and 'Best Website' meant that I had some stiff competition. For the best blog category, I was up against veteran blogger Slim Jackson of Single Black Male and The Real Slim Jackson. Months prior Jackson had been featured in  Black Enterprise magazine as a blogger to noteI was also competing against Brandon Frame of TheBlackManCan.org for the best website category. Both are established speakers, bloggers, and genuinely awesome people. 

Isaiah Washington signing his new book:
A Man from Another Land

Actor Isaiah Washington and myself
Actor Isaiah Washington was presented with the 'Humanitarian' award for his work in the country of Sierra Leone. He also signed copies of his new book, 'A Man from Another Land' which were a part of the lovely gift bags. 


Essence Magazine's Mikki Taylor 

Fashion legend and Essence magazine's editor-at-large, Mikki Taylor, was honored with the 'Lifetime of Greatness' Award. I love Mikki Taylor and had to sneak a picture with her right after she won her award. Seated in the balcony with Mr. Washington, her 1000 watt smile and sheer radiance beamed across the room. Miss Taylor was introduced by Shandra Freeman,  a personality and wife of DJ Fat Man Scoop.


Accessories provided by Shannon Burgwald of Stella & Dot
Other honored guests included entrepreneur Jean Alerte, owner of Julius Casimir Jewelry and Alerte, Carter & Associates; a public relations firm. Television producer, President of WEEN, and a former contestant on Survivor Season 24, Sabrina Thompson, was honored with the Empowerment award for her work with young women. 


My first award of the night for 'Best Blog'


I walked into the hall for the awards ceremony and everything felt surreal. The blogger category was one of the first to be presented and when the envelope was opened, my name was called and my mouth dropped. I was so nervous that I walked on stage wearing my shoulder wrap and without logic or thought, I blurted out (in my best Tabbi Bonney voice)  "I'm from D.C.! I never thought that I would be in New York and standing here with all of you...but I'm happy to be here!"

Steph Folling:
Two-time winner of the Black Street Awards
The last category of the night was best website. I'll be honest...in my mind I thought: what was the probability of lightening striking twice? Finalist Brandon Frame had already won an award in the education category and winning this award would make one of us a two-time winner; the only honorees to do so. Roache' signaled towards Frame as if to say he had it in the bag. I braced myself for my best Susan Lucci performance only to hear "Stephanie Folling" and I screamed! 

(L-R) Brandon Frame (Education/Website),
Judith Mills (Non-Profit),
Jennifer LaRoche of NBC's Smash (Dance),
Stephanie Folling (Blogger/Website)
Orane  Williams (Finance)
Running up onto the stage I was prepared. I took off my shrug, pushed my shoulders back and said, "I gotta thank my Momma! And Jesus...and all of D.C." At that moment I recognized that I was representing for my city and I couldn't be happier. I took home 2 awards and was the only nominee to do so out of 25 categories ranging from law, government, politics, education, finance and philanthropy. We did it D.C.!!

My Black Street Awards 

3 comments:

Tamara R. said...

You go, girl! Congratulations on your TWO awards!

The Cupcake Critic said...

Thank you Tamara!! :-)

Pich and Roor said...

You look spectacular, & I'm so proud of you!! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...