Thursday, November 15, 2012

Divinely Decadent Desserts


Location: 2701 12th Street, NE 
FLAVORS: Chocolate w/ Vanilla icing
COST: $2.70 (tax included)
SCORE: 3

Reviewed by: Brea Ellis of What I Wore, Tip to Toe

Chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting

A fashion blogger’s diet consists of three things: cupcakes, champagne and clothes so naturally I felt up to the challenge when Stephanie asked me to review my favorite cupcakery.

I eat a lot of free cupcakes at fashion events, but when I’m spending my own money I hit up Divinely Decadent Desserts in Brookland, NE where for $2.70 you can choose from a variety of “outside the cupcake box” flavors. They have banana, key lime (my favorite) and sweet potato. They also bake staples like vanilla, chocolate, and of course the flavor de rigueur, red velvet. 


Divinely Decadent Desserts Awning
On the day I visited, I found suitable street parking. There were two super-friendly and totally hip shop girls; one in an oversized oxblood cardigan that I'm dying to find out the origin of. They ran down a list of all of the day’s flavors then bagged up my selection; a chocolate flavored cupcake with vanilla frosting. 

I decided to save it for a midnight snack and when I finally bit into it, the cake was solidly tasty even though the edges had hardened slightly from sitting out for so many hours. The icing however maintained a meringue like lightness that was both plentiful and sugary sweet. (Side-Note: I noticed that most of the cupcakes were actually un-iced and wondered if that meant custom icing flavors were available like cream cheese or strawberry?)

Lounge area...perfect for Sunday reading

 What I found most unique about the store itself were the exposed baking tools, the oven used to make the cupcakes is visible from the cash register and the flour, sugar, etc are shelved on a far wall in the store. D3 boasts several couches and comfy chairs not to mention lots of natural light so you could certainly pop in for a treat and stay awhile with your laptop or the Sunday paper.
D3 Sign...super cute!
The bakery is located near the end of the strip of businesses on 12th street, in a mainly residential block, so it seems like mostly those in walking distance are enjoying it for now, but with a fancy Neapolitan pizza joint next door and plenty of meter-free parking this place won't be just a local favorite for long.

About Brea Ellis:

WHAT I WORE: tip to toe! is a glimpse inside the life (and closet) of Social Media professional and "girl about town" Brea Ellis. Posts include her daily outfits, which serve to encourage women to shop their closets, rethink they way they style themselves and to live their ordinary lives in extraordinary clothing! 

Follow Brea on twitter at www.twitter.com/breaellis on facebook at www.facebook.com/whatiworetiptotoe and read the blog at http://whatiworetiptotoe.blogspot.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...