Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cakelove (Silver Spring)

Cakelove (8512 Fenton Street Silver Spring, MD 20910)
Flavors: Toffee Crunch and Strawberry Lemonade
Cost: $3.35
Score: 4.5
Toffee Crunch Cupcakes 
I have to be honest...I've been avoiding a visit and subsequent review of Cakelove for some time now. My previous experiences with their cakes were less than stellar. Whether fresh out the box, fresh from the fridge or thawed, eating a slice of their cake reminded me of eating raw sticks of butter from the refrigerator. Nonetheless I've always enjoyed the success story of Cakelove owner and former attorney, Warren Brown.  

Over the past decade Brown has authored 3 cookbooks, hosted a show on The Food Network, and gotten nods from Oprah Winfrey, CNN, MSNBC, American Express and numerous others. Not to mention that Cakelove has grown to six locations throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington, DC. On this day, I would be visiting their Downtown Silver Spring location; only minutes from Silver Spring's red line station. If you can manage the chaotic downtown traffic, there is a parking lot within walking distance that is free after 7PM. 


When I walked into the bakery I was greeted by two ladies who were a sheer and utter delight. One young lady wore a Wu Tang Clan shirt listing every member of the group in alphabetical order- gotta love that. In addition, their knowledge of each cupcake flavor (about 12-13 in total with flavors ranging from salted caramel, s'more, and lemon coconut) was impressive. After a long deliberation on my part, I ordered one toffee crunch and one strawberry lemonade cupcake for a total of $6.70+tax. Little did I know that I'd be meeting my destiny.

L-R: Toffee Crunch and Strawberry Lemonade
After some shopping and a quick train ride home, I reached into my box and  pulled out the strawberry lemonade cupcake first. The cupcake's frosting was heaven in a cloud! It reminded me of a light and fluffy strawberry milkshake. The cake was a bit dense but complemented the frosting nonetheless. I kept licking the frosting in amazement like, "This is so flavorful! Give me more!"


I held my future in my hands: Cakelove's packaging

Eager, I reached into the box again and pulled out the toffee crunch cupcake  only to find myself in love! Topped with chunks of caramel-brown toffee, couldn't keep my hands off of the chocolate delight with its fresh and fluffy cake coupled with a lightly whipped vanilla frosting and drizzled in salted caramel. Afterwards I affectionately nicknamed this cupcake 'My Boo' and seriously contemplated if cupcake marriage should be legalized...then I realized that it was the sugar talking. 

                                                       Cakelove on Urbanspoon

ADVERTISEMENTS
                                   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...