Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Butterscotch Shop



Mini Lemonade Cupcakes/ Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop

Location: Online/ Waldorf Farmer's Market 
Flavors: 14 Karot, What is that velvet?, Lemonade, Glory, and Sprinkle Me
Price: $20 per dozen
Score: 4.8

One of the challenges that bakers face is recreating the ‘magic’ with each batch.  Perfection gets sold while less-than-perfect gets tossed so; it’s a rare treat when you come across cupcakes that merge commercial uniformity with homemade goodness. To put it plainly, The Butterscotch Shop is the bomb!

Glory Pound Cake Cupcakes  /Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop 
On a sunny Saturday morning, I would be gifted a box of six cupcakes containing five flavors:  14 Karot, What is that velvet?, Lemonade, Glory, and Sprinkle Me. I coordinated a meeting with owner Brandiss Smith, to pick-up cupcakes from her booth at the annual BowieFest. Meeting Brandiss and her husband was an absolute pleasure and I watched as each customer was treated with patience and kid gloves.

Lemonade Sunflower Cupcake/ Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop 
Driving home with my cupcakes on the passenger side was so tempting but I refrained. Once I opened my cupcake container I immediately went for the lemonade cupcake which was the outlier in the group. The cake was crumbly and dense like it was a day old. The frosting was creamy but lifeless and didn't compliment the cake.

What is that Velvet? Cupcakes/ Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop
With a website that boasts over 20 different flavors and a dozen retailing for $20 (plus a small delivery fee), I knew that there was goodness somewhere in my container of cupcakes. I didn’t lose hope. I chose the Glory cupcake next and was instantly in heaven! The cupcake was blissful with a slight icing drizzle. The texture was moist but with the expected density of a pound cake.

Eager, I went for the What is that Velvet? cupcake which also had a moist texture and the perfect chocolate flavor. The icing was cream cheese, I believe, but it tasted like heaven on my tongue.  

Sprinkle Me Cupcakes/ Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop
Next up was the Sprinkle Me cupcake which was my favorite cupcake of the bunch. The texture was ultra-moist and flavorful. In fact, Butterscotch’s frosting is a true winner!  The homemade goodness is like nothing I’ve ever tasted on a commercial-grade cupcake. It reminded me of my grandmother's recipes which are hard to replicate (I know because I’ve tried).  Kudos to The Butterscotch Shop for that!

14 Karot Cupcake/ Photo Courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop
My final cupcake was the 14 Karot cupcake. What I loved most is that the cupcake wasn’t overrun with nuts or raisins which can get stuck in my teeth. Instead, biting into the carrot cake cupcake was delightfully moist, spiced to perfection, and that signature frosting acted as the bow on my cupcake present.

Look at all the sprinkles!/Photo courtesy of The Butterscotch Shop
Overall The Butterscotch Shop is amazing and there aren’t enough adjectives to describe how much I enjoyed these cupcakes. The best thing that you can do is visit them every Saturday at the Waldorf Farmer’s market from 9AM until 1 PM. Or place an order online and see for yourself the cupcake-goodness.
Happy Eating Cupcake Lovers!

*The cupcakes in this review were gifted however that did not persuade the thoughts of the reviewer. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...