Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Who Has The Best Cupcakes in DC?

As you can imagine, wherever I go, I am asked, “Who has the best cupcakes in DC?” Of course I don't mind the question- after all that's what being a critic is about. But my response of, "It depends..." is never really what people want to hear. Allow me to expound. 
Fellow bloggers: (L-R) Stacey, Lauren and Stephanie 

On an eventful Thursday night I was catching up with some pals over cocktails at Tap & Parlor on U Street. DC Legend Chuck Brown's funeral was earlier that day so the place was jumping in celebration of a true hometown hero. Fellow blogger and pal Stacey, had given me the cutest cupcake picture which brought up the subject of cupcakes. 

My cupcake pic from Stacey
Our other pal and fellow blogger Lauren, asked me the infamous question, "So Steph...who has the best cupcakes in the city?" Her eyes were exacting as they looked at me over black-rimmed Chanel frames. I know Lauren well enough to know that their is no coy way of getting out of this one. "It depends..." was my most sincere answer. She pursed her lips and took a sip of her drink, albeit a bit annoyed, at the inconclusive answer. It's okay. It get that-alot. 

Photo courtesy of Rolling Stone Mag


To ask who has the best cupcakes would be like saying, “Who’s the greatest rapper of all time?” It’s such a broad statement whose answer is based upon so many variables and perspectives. To circumvent this people often move on to question number two when question number one has proven to be inconclusive, “So where do you go for your cupcake fix?” To which my honest reply is the same, “It depends…”

"I bet you get free cupcakes, don't you?" ~ Chris

Very often my personal decisions are based upon a few factors: my mood, proximity, cost, flavor availability, etc. As much as I would like to say that I am a card-carrying member of the 'Stephy-Gets-Free-Cupcakes-for-Life' club, bakers are business owners. And although I have a great working relationship with most of them (and they are more than eager to let me try their new flavors or just lob a few my way to say, “Thanks!”) I am still shelling out $3.50 a pop for cuppies which can get pricey.

                     "Do you know The Georgetown Cupcake girls?" ~ Evian

Overall the main contributor to where I go for cupcakes is usually dictated by one question: 
Do I feel like driving into DC for cupcakes? Because of that many suburban bakeries like Cakes Plus, Delectable Cakery and the new Cake Courtesan satisfy my cupcake cravings. Whenever I am in DC I go ga-ga for Sprinkles seasonal key-lime or strawberry cupcakes. And although Georgetown Cupcake is high on my list of delish, I dig that Sweet Themez in Adams Morgan is open late on weekends. So as I stated earlier, it all depends.

"I'm so over this cupcake thing...but I love your blog!" ~Anon

Press Photo 1


All in all each shop has something to offer in its own way, for each neighborhood, flavor aficionado, and at every price level. My goal is to act as a taste-tester and reporter of all the cupcake goodness that is flourishing in DC and beyond. I love the questions that people ask and encourage the dialogue but the most that you'll get out of me is, " I love them all in their own way" :-)  R.I.P Chuck Brown



2 comments:

Haute off the Press said...

What a delightful tale. Thanks for the love, love!! Let's grab cupcakes soon. XOXO

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hey Lady! Glad that you liked ;-) Yes, we gotta go cupcake-ing soon! Good seeing you! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...