Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Grandma says: "Happy Birthday Julia!"


My baking guru has, and always will be, my grandmother. Everything that she cooked or baked turned out immaculate, and there was nothing that she couldn't cook or bake. At a young age, she imparted all her baking wisdom into me. I learned how to roll out dough and cup biscuits; sift flour, measure liquids and cream butter. She made amazing corn pancakes with karo syrup and I still use her roasted lamb recipe for Easter.

Even with her extraordinary skill, she loved Julia Child and would stop whatever she was doing to watch her show. Because Grandma loved it, I loved it too. Mrs. Child's voice, stature, and calm demeanor always fascinated me; even into adulthood. Today we celebrate her birthday and her culinary contributions to kitchens worldwide. Julia Child, undoubtedly, is an American legend and icon. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...