Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Road Trippin: ATL Cupcake Edition


Variety of flavors from CamiCakes in Buckhead
Recently I took a road trip to Atlanta, my birthplace. Known as the jewel of the south, this progressive southern city has more to offer than crunk, fried foods, and Housewives - although we like all those things too. I got the chance to taste CamiCakes, Gigi's of Buckhead and The Little Cakery who supplied cupcakes for the V.I.P. suites at Cirque Du Soleil. Peep game...



CamiCakes (Buckhead)

Flavors: Banana cream cupcake and a Strawberries-n-cream cupcake
Cost: $2.75 each 
Score: 4.9
CamiCakes has 4 locations; this is buckhead
Nestled in a busy shopping center in Buckhead is the bustling CamiCakes. Pink from tip-to-stern this neatly presented cupcake shop featured 10 different flavors of perfectly-portioned cupcakes waiting to be eaten. I walked away with a banana cream cupcake and a strawberries-n-cream cupcake for $5.89. By far the best cupcakes in Atlanta!


Banana Cream Cupcake from CamiCakes
Strawberries-N-Cream Cupcakes

GiGi’s Cupcakes in Buckhead
Flavors: Chocolate strawberry and Kentucky Bourbon Pie
Cost: $3.50 each 
Score: 3.7
Gigi's Cupcakes in Buckhead
Gigi’s Cupcakes is a popular franchise in the south whom I have deemed the beauty queens of cupcakes. Gigi’s packaging and presentation is flawless and friendly with huge cupcakes featuring large crowns of frosting. I walked away with a Kentucky bourbon pie cupcake and a chocolate covered strawberry cupcake totaling $8.59. Overall this cupcakes are pretty to look at and happy to hold but flavors wise they can be a bit too bold. The KBP was a rich cake but the frosting was mountainous and ultimately gave me a headache from all the sugar. The chocolate strawberry (a chocolate cupcake with strawberry frosting covered in chocolate) reeked of artificial strawberry flavor which is a no-no for the Critic.
The Kentucky Bourbon Pie Cupcake
Gigi's of Buckhead's vast Selection


Little Cake Bakery
Flavors: The Marie Antoinette (vanilla cake with raspberry center; topped with caramel and whipped  cream)
Cost: $2.50 each 
Score: 3.9
Little Cake Bakery in Buckhead

After getting a quick manicure from Nail Favors in Buckhead, I happened upon a little place called Little Cake Bakery. A quaint shop that featured 6-8 flavors for $2.50 each. After debating between the Samoan and the mint julep, I chose The Marie Antoinette; their crown jewel of flavors. The cordial cupcake was a vanilla cupcake with a raspberry jam center topped with caramel drizzle (reminiscent of gold ornate) and topped with whipped cream and a cherry. It was gorgeous! 
The Marie Antoinette Cupcake


Little Cake Bakery Special's Sign


4 comments:

Unknown said...

EXCELLENT POST! Well done! Now, I know exactly what spots to hit in my former stomping grounds:)
http://kristysamone.com/

Sharia B. said...

Sounds like an AWESOME excursion! If I wasn't fasting sweets for lent, I would sooo tag along. :)

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hey Kristy!
Yep! There were a few more spots that I wanted to try but my time there was brief! Overall, I enjoyed what I did taste. Strongly recommend CamiCakes!
Steph

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hey Sharia!
It was!!! More awesome if you were there with me :-)
Steph

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...