Thursday, February 16, 2012

Sticky Fingers Bakery


Location: Sticky Fingers Bakery (1370 Park Rd NW)
Flavors: Coconut Delight and Carrot Cake
Cost: $2.50-$2.75
Score: 5
At some point, in all of our lives, we’ve been stereotyped or have stereotyped people, places and things. I’ve definitely stereotyped food; vegan food in fact. I have avoided this review for some time because I had thoughts of tree-hugging, granola-eating yuppies serving me overpriced and bland cupcakes. To be honest I didn’t know what to expect when I walked into Sticky Fingers Bakery. However if there’s one thing that Sticky Fingers personifies is that labels need not apply here!

Sticky Fingers Bakery in Columbia Heights 
Located within steps of the Columbia Heights metro station I found metered street parking directly in front of the bakery. Filled to the brim with urban hipsters, everyday people, and yuppies alike, I saw a young woman in a Barnard sweatshirt while another woman posted on the wall with her collie- Summer. The staff quickly filled orders as the restaurant ebbed and flowed with hungry customers eager to engage in the affordable ($4.99) Sunday brunch. In the corner, a patron dropped a bottle of hot sauce and within seconds the mess is cleaned and the bottle is replaced.


Yummy cupakes that are also vegan
 
The glass case holding all of Sticky Fingers’ treasures ranged from carrot cake, double chocolate, chocolate raspberry, peanut butter, and coconut delight to name a few. I ordered the coconut delight cupcake and a carrot cake cupcake priced sweetly at $2.50 each. The best treat was meeting bakery owner Doron Petersan.  
Author & Founder Doron Petersan
One of the first things that I noticed about Petersan is that she is extremely genuine, very pretty and passionate about her business. While we talked in her shop, three different customers came over to express their absolute adoration for her and her bakery. Like her winning cakes, her brand is rock-star status but she exuded unaffected graces. 
Petersan and 'The Critic' smiling for the camera
Most people became familiar with Petersan while she was a contestant on Cupcake Wars and stood out in her 1950's look, complete with tattoos and Chanel red lipstick. That day Petersan wore sweatpants, a comfy Sunday sweater, and there was no Chanel in sight. A newly minted mom, she showed me pictures of her 7 month old son, Ezra, whose bottom teeth are sprouting. We swapped stories of college, (she has a degree in Dietetics from the University of Maryland and her husband is a non-profit attorney), the obstacles of women in business, and what makes a good cupcake. 

“At the end of the day, either it’s a good cupcake or it’s not. It shouldn’t matter if it’s vegan” ~ D. Petersan 
As a critic, you can find yourself in the quandary of liking the shop and the owner but not liking their cupcakes. It’s a dilemma. I prayed that this would not be the case- and it wasn't. 
Biting into the coconut delight I paused and said aloud, “This is a good a** cupcake!” Mind you, The Critic isn't prone to potty mouth. The flavor of the frosting was delectable and the texture immaculate. The cake was moist and the flavor perfect. It replicated the loving desserts that my grandmother made but my grandmother wasn’t a vegan. I quickly tore into my other cupcake and found it equally as enjoyable (although the after taste left hints of Olive oil). The carrot cake’s frosting was rich and the cake soft; not overrun with raisins which I like.


Internally I questioned,”How did she do this with no butter, eggs, or milk?” Fortunately for us Petersan is sharing all her secrets to baking in her new book, ‘Sticky Fingers’ Sweets: 100 Super-Secret vegan recipes’. More importantly, the good people at Penguin publishing will be giving two of my readers signed and personalized copies of the book (for contest rules click here).

Looking back on my time spent with Petersan and at the bakery, I learned that different shouldn’t be avoided and to prejudge or label anything is depriving one's self of something new. In this case, it meant depriving myself of some good arse cupcakes!

Sticky Fingers Bakery on Urbanspoon

14 comments:

Jen said...

Yum! Sounds like I need to visit!

Jen said...

P.S. I'd love to be entered for the giveaway! ;)

doron petersan said...

I LOVED meeting and chatting with you and your sis. Best of luck to you and your endeavors as you have rocked it so far. Kudos to you too and looking forward to working (and chatting) together in the future!
doron

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Jen! You should definitely visit! I plan on going back for the lovely brunch...oh-la-la! Also, you are definitely entered. Stay tuned as the winner will be announced on Sunday! Thank you for reading and posting :0)

The Cupcake Critic said...

Gotcha covered! ;0)

The Cupcake Critic said...

Doron,
Thank you for posting!! Meeting and chatting with you was the highlight of my day- seriously! Both inside and out, you rock! And seriously, I'm in love with those coconut cupcakes!!! I will be back for the strawberry and raspberry (plus brunch). Looking forward to talking with you soon; anticipate an email within the week. Thanks again ;0)

Valerie said...

Hooray for Vegan cupcakes!

Lynn Kimble said...

Great post! We visited the shop a few months ago and was hoping to meet the owner. She wasn't in that day, unfortunately. Kayla wanted to say hello and maybe gain a few pointers from one of her cupcake idols from Cupcake Wars. Yes... even though we bake and sell cupcakes, Kayla loves to support everyone else too lol. We bought lots of yummy cupcakes. They were great! :) I'm personally looking forward to the book. Congrats to Doron and continued success! We hope we'll reach that status soon. We'll stop in again soon.
Lynn Kimble (Kayla Kimble's mom)
Kayla Kimble Cupcakes

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Valerie!
I agree, hooray! Tell me, do you have a favorite vegan cupcake recipe? Please share and I will post it on the blog. Thank you for posting and stay tuned for the winners!

Krys said...

I just tried one of their cupcakes last weekend during DC meat free week. I can't wait to add Sticky Finger's Sweets to my cookbook collection

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Lynne,
Thank you! Tell me, what flavors did you try when you went to Sticky Fingers? Thank you for posting!

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Krys!
Thank you for posting! The book looks awesome and Doron's cuppies are amazing. I can't wait to try out some of the recipes. Did you try this week's cupcake project featuring the brown sugar cupcake with spiced rum frosting and cracked brittle topping? If you make it, let me know and I will post your pics! Good luck to you :0)

BETSY CUADRADO said...

I saw you compete and win on Food Network, I can't wait to visit your store!!!

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Betsy!
First, thank you for reading and posting on the blog! Sticky Fingers Bakery is awesome! I can't wait to go back for the brunch. Tell me, which flavors are you going to try?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...