Thursday, October 11, 2012

Make My Cake Harlem

Make My Cake121 Saint Nicholas Avenue New York, NY
Flavors: Strawberry, Strawberry Coconut and Red Velvet Walnut
Cost $2.50-$4.00
Score: 5

The Bounty: Large Strawberry Coconut & Red Velvet with walnuts
I remember the first time I visited Make My Cake...it was heavenly. The perfectly pink shop located on 116th and Adam Clay Powell Blvd is about a 2-3 block walk from the 2 or 3 trains (although taking the 4 would be better). Walking into the shop you immediately feel at home. Their vast selection drew me in with their signature red velvet and strawberry cupcakes that are drool-worthy.   

My favorites: strawberry cupcakes 
The day of my visit I would notice that they offered two sizes for their cupcakes:regular and large. The prices ranged from $2.50-$4.00 depending on flavor and size. I wanted to get a regular-sized cupcake in each flavor but sticking to my cupcake budget and portion size was important so I ordered one regular sized strawberry cupcake and 2 large cupcakes in red velvet walnut and strawberry-coconut. My total for all three was $10.50. My mouth was already salivating.

They serve pies, cobbler, cookies, donuts, danish, muffins, etc.
Make My Cake's customer service was excellent. The line of five people moved rather quickly as the waitstaff answered every question with a genuine smile and gave change with a prompt, "Thank you!". Their warm smiles and casual conversation made me feel like a valued customer which is important when there's a cupcake shop on every corner. Each cupcake was chosen and packaged with care and all questions were answered with accurate knowledge of both the product and the store. Further, everything was pristine clean. 


I love their packaging...a happy baker
After snapping some pics, I saw that my regular cupcake was housed in a pink bag with the cutest logo. I've always enjoyed the chubby baker reaching into the oven and pulling out freshly made goodness. It screams homemade, warmth, and care. 
The awning of Make My Cake in Harlem
Before I could devour my goodies, I was knee-deep in cupcakes from my New York trip so I had to put these babies in the refrigerator for another day :-(. I was pleased to find that my strawberry coconut was as rich, smooth, and creamy as it was the day that I bought it. Fresh strawberries were bursting from the batter and the frosting wasn't too sweet but just right. 

Make My Cake's German Chocolate cake
went up against Bobby Flay on 'Throwdown'
My red  velvet cake had a great texture and was complemented by the subtle cream cheese frosting and walnuts. My mini strawberry was a treat too. Even though it was a regular sized cupcake, I felt that it lasted longer than a traditional cupcake; something that I owe in part to the homemade nature of MMC's baked goods. 
Make My Cake is also a 30 seat bakery and cafe internet lounge 
Make My Cake in Harlem was by far my favorite experience while in New York (out of 5 shops visited with Dylan's Candy Bar running a close second). I see why New York's elite (Jay-Z, Beyonce, and others) flock to the Harlem-based hideaway. 

                                                Make My Cake on Urbanspoon
   
                  
                                        

2 comments:

Aliyyah Baylor said...

Thank you so much for stopping by and showing us such love! We're so glad you enjoyed our cupcakes and can't wait to see you again! xoxo Stay SWEET!

www.MakeMyCake.com

The Cupcake Critic said...

Aliyyah,

I love your shop! So happy about the success of the stores and anticipate bigger and better. Your business model is one to be copied. Good job! Send strawberry cupcakes...LOL! :-)

My Best,
Steph, The Cupcake Critic

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...