Wednesday, October 17, 2012

We Take The Cake

We Take the Cake: 1021 N. Federal Highway Fort Lauderdale, FL 33304
Flavors: Red Velvet, Chocolate, Vanilla, Coconut 
Cost: $52 per 8 cupcakes
Score: 4.8

Reviewed by: Stephanie


Coconut and Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercrem Frosting
In early August I was approached by We Take the Cake about reviewing their cupcakes. I agreed after seeing that their signature key-lime cream cheese bundt cakes were voted one of Oprah's Favorite Things. Looking to introduce their cupcakes to a broader market, they shipped a box to me and I couldn't have been happier*.

                                          

When I received my box, I was pleasantly surprised at how lovingly my package was shrink-wrapped, boxed with dry ice, and then delicately placed in a custom FedEx box. The packaging was marvelous in traditional Key-West colors of terracotta and lime.

The box of eight are over-sized cupcakes which means that they can comfortably feed about two people when shared. The cupcakes come in four traditional flavors: chocolate, vanilla, red velvet and coconut and retail for $52 plus shipping and handling. Given that they are located in Fort Lauderdale, shipping to the D.C. area hovers around $39 dollars however they ship fresh and the same day.


The FedEx guys love me!

The We Take the Cake Box with Logo
Cutting each cupcake into fours, I dished up my plate ready to critique. I tried the vanilla cupcake first and was pleasantly surprised at how moist and flavorful it was. It bordered on perfect while the frosting left the sweetest tingle on my tongue. 

I tried the coconut cupcake next which would become my favorite. The moist coconut gave this cupcake the perfect flavor without being too sweet and the right balance of crunch with the moist cake. The actual cake was infused with subtle notes of fresh coconut denoting a coconut milk or paste used. No artificial flavors here. 

The chocolate cupcake was smooth and reminded me of a nice French pastry only in cake form topped with a silky smooth mousse. The red velvet cake was moist beyond belief and although chocolate in flavor, it was more of what I've always felt that a (southern) red velvet cake should be- effortless. 


Purple: Red Velvet Cupcakes  Pink: Vanilla Cupcakes 
Overall the price tag was justifiable as these cupcakes are beyond spectacular. These are the cupcakes that you expect to serve should Oprah come visit your home and you don't want to appear as if you've never met a billionaire before. Or they are the perfect Christmas present for the beloved relative, in-law, or Cupcake Lover in your life. Receiving a box from We Take the Cake would definitely brighten their day-and tummy. 

*The cupcakes in this review were gifted however that did not sway the views of the reviewers. No compensation was received in connection with this review. 

We Take the Cake on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...