Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Magnolia Bakery: Carrot Cake Cupcake

Magnolia Bakery (1000 3rd Avenue NY, NY)
Flavors: Carrot Cake 
Cost: $3.50
Score: 3.9

Reviewed by: Stephanie 


Magnolia Bakery has been attributed with kicking off the entire cupcake craze after HBO's Sex & The City character, Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker),  stopped by the famous shop for a cupcake. From that point on (coupled with a crippled economy where affordable luxury items would be in great demand) the cupcake craze has swept the country- and the world. 

Magnolia Bakery's Shelf Life
Given its history, what better way to taste Magnolia Bakery than in the middle of Bloomingdale's? Walking in to the small enclave of a shop I was greeted with numerous desserts like banana pudding, baby cheesecakes, and a small assortment of cupcakes ranging from vanilla, chocolate, carrot, and variations thereof. I had hoped to get my hands on the Swarovski crystal cupcake advertised days earlier in celebration of Fashion Week. 

Magnolia Bakery's Carrot Cake Cupcake
After waiting in a short line, I was eagerly greeted by the one of the employees who patiently waited while I lusted after the cool banana pudding and longed for their baby cheesecakes topped with luscious berries. Despite the amazing selection, I ordered the carrot cake cupcake after inquiring about the Swarovski crystal cupcake. My server assured me: "You aren't really missing anything...it's just a vanilla cupcake with a sugar crystal in the middle" I appreciated his honesty.       
       
Magnolia Bakery Box
Once I sunk my teeth into the carrot cake cupcake, I was surprised at the freshness considering that I ate it a day after purchase. The flavor was routine with no real stand-outs but the cream cheese frosting was rich with the perfect balance of texture and taste between the cake and frosting. The portion size was just right but I can't say that it was worth the $3.50 charged. Overall I'd like to visit Magnolia Bakery again (at one of their larger locations) and try some of their other cupcake flavors and desserts.



Magnolia Bakery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...