Thursday, October 4, 2012

Crumbs Bakery: Caramel Apple Cupcakes

Crumbs Bakery (43 West 42nd Street, NY Times Square)
Flavors: Caramel Apple 
Cost: $3.85
Score: 3.0
Crumbs in Times Square
Although I disavowed Crumbs in a previous review, on this sunny afternoon in Times Square I would try them again. Walking into the petite shop I was greeted with several cupcake flavors and food choices. Although Crumbs is known for their cupcakes, they are a bakery that serves other baked goods such as danishes, mini cheesecakes, brownies, and cookies. 


Crumbs had great variety
I came across two fun cupcakes that caught my attention: the red velvet delicious (a red velvet cupcake decorated to look like an apple with a green stem) and a caramel apple cupcake (an apple spice cupcake topped with caramel and butter cream frosting with a protruding wooden stick). I decided to go with the caramel apple cupcake alone. 


Red Velvet cupcakes shaped like apples
My total was $3.85 which isn't bad for such a sizable cupcake. The young lady who waited on me was very kind. She even looked up the address for another bakery on her iPhone after ringing me up. 

Grabbing my cupcake I was a bit hesitant because everything within me wanted it to be good so that I could change my original opinion of Crumbs. They were already winning in the flavor category (I love caramel apples) so I had to put this baby to work.

Flavor of the week: Caramel Apple
Dipping my spoon into the large cake and sliding it downward revealed chunks of apple, spices, and a cream cheese frosting underneath the thick caramel. Holding it to my mouth I thought, "this better be good" and it was. The cupcake was bursting with real apple flavor complemented by the caramel. The cream cheese rounded out the fairly textured cake making it sweet and moist. The stick even acted as a sufficient anchor to the heavy cupcake. 

My treat...caramel on top with apple chunks in the middle
All in all I dug the cupcake and my experience at Crumbs was favorable. I can't say that it is one of my top five but in a pinch, I may see myself stopping by to try some of their other flavors. 


Crumbs Bake Shop (W42nd/5th Ave) on Urbanspoon
                           
Candy Galaxy

2 comments:

Wendy {Weswen Design} said...

I swear I can't read any of your posts without salivating! YUM!

The Cupcake Critic said...

LOL! Thanks Wendy! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...