Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bite Me Bakery



My box of cupcakes! (Photos courtesy of Bite Me Bakery
Location: Bite Me Bakery (Delivery to DC/MD/VA)
Flavors: Baklava, strawberry short cake, pina-colada, ube, chocolate mousse and berries & cream
Score: 4.4


Based in Waldorf, MD, I first heard about Bite Me bakery on Twitter after seeing a pic of their baklava cupcake. I love baklava so to combine it with a cupcake is genius. After a few tweets and emails later, I had a dozen cupcakes delivered to me courtesy of cousins Erine and Richelle. The duo behind Bite Me share a love for baking that started early and was often lavished upon friends and family. Over time they decided that their culinary treats should be shared with the world.  

The Signature Ube Cupcake  
Although my treats were gifted, a dozen cupcakes costs $24 per dozen ($2 per cupcake-not bad) and require a three-day turnaround time. Their flavors range from lemon on lemon cream cheese to white chocolate macadamia nut and peanut butter cream.  This day, I would be fortunate to try 6 of their flavors: baklava, strawberry short cake, pina-colada, signature ube, chocolate mousse and berries and cream (white chocolate with raspberry cream-cheese frosting).

The Baklava Cupcake-Yum! (Photo courtesy of Bite Me Bakery)

Having only begun in January, I would have presumed that they were in business longer due to the level of craftsmanship. Up first was the baklava cupcake which, after I took my first bite, I knew that I would love forever. The phyllo dough was perfectly crisp and although a bit sweet, the honey butter cream frosting will melt on your tongue.  Bite Me won in both execution and flavor for that one. Next was the chocolate mousses cupcake which was THE BOMB! It’s moist, flavorful and actually tasted like a chocolate mousse: whipped, creamy and light.

Chocolate Mousse Cupcake w/ Malt Chocolate Frosting

I was excited about the pina-colada cupcakes (a Critic favorite), which had actual coconut and even hints of pineapple in each bite. Each time that I bit into it, I thought that the flavor would become monotonous but it never did. The strawberry short cake cupcake was also awesome! The cake was topped with whipped clouds of (almost coconut flavored) cream and laced with delicate strawberries.  My only complaint would be that the cake part was a bit dense but I believe that was purposefully done to replicate the texture found in the actual dessert.


The Strawberry Shortcake Cupcake (Photo courtesy of Bite Me Bakery)
My next cupcake was the berries and cream cupcake. I must preface that traditionally The Critic doesn't like raspberry anything however, the cream cheese frosting was bursting with flavor but maintained a delicate texture. The cake was moist enough but unlike the strawberry short cake, it really needed to be fluffy. Finally, the signature ube cupcakes were good but lacked flavor or anything distinctive so feel free to pass.


Overall the cupcakes were ahead of the class and should not be missed. They have a flavor that is skilled but doesn’t lose what a cupcake is all about- loving goodness!  Happy Eating Cupcake Lovers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...