Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet Themez

Sweet Themez Sign (Photo courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
                      
 Location: Sweet Themez 2318 18th Street NW, Adams Morgan

Flavors: Lemon and Pound cake

Cost: $2.75

Score: 4.8

Located in the effervescent neighborhood of Adams Morgan, sits a delectable cupcake shop named Sweet Themez. The basement bakery offers up cupcakes and cake pops in flavors ranging from pound cake to peanut butter crunch and sweet potato.  In total, they have 15 daily flavors and 10 seasonal flavors (not including their gluten-free and vegan options).  

Several cupcake flavors! (Photos courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
Sitting a half mile from the DuPont Circle Metro station, taking the bus there would be ideal.  Parking in Adams Morgan is difficult but I found a space a block away.  Walking into the petite shop, I was immediately greeted by the store clerk. He was more than eager to take my order and had the calmness one would expect from your local bartender; telling him all your tales of woe and saying, “Barkeep…more pound cake please and keep’em coming”. He was cooler than cool.

              
                               Counter filled with cake pops (Photos courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)














Despite having so many options, I took the simple road and ordered the pound cake with butter cream frosting and raspberry swirl. It sounds complicated but trust me, it was oh so heavenly.  My secondary choice was my standard lemon.  My total for the two cupcakes was only $5.50! When I asked for a bag, the clerkpulled out a reusable bag that comes in a small carrying case and unfolds into a full shopping bag. That bag fascinated me like a two year-old playing with their mother’s pots.
My American Express Reusable Bag (Photos courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
I was even more surprised that they are open until 1AM (or until they run out), Thursday through Saturday! It reminded me of the many inebriated nights out when me and my friends, or my date, desperately desired a cupcake but knew we wouldn’t be able to score anything at such an ungodly hour. Problem. Solved.    


Eating these cupcakes made me happy. Traditionally pound cake isn’t served with frosting; maybe a fruit compote or powdered sugar but not frosting. The use of frosting fascinated me however this cupcake explained it all in one bite. The butter cream frosting quietly vindicated itself as it merged with the cake’s traditionally dense nature.  The raspberry jam converged with the notes of lemon and held up the overall flavor like a perfectly wrapped bow at Christmas. My present was the music this cupcake was making in my mouth.

(L-R) Lemon Cupcake & Poundcake Cupcake (Photos courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
The lemon cupcake was good as well. The texture was appropriate and the flavor was just right. However my only hang-up was that the frosting was more of a pudding than an actual butter cream base. However it didn’t deter me at all. Overall, Sweet Themez has found a deep place in my heart and I will be back again, and again, and again. Happy Eating Cupcake Lovers!
Sweet Themez Outdoor Sign (Photos courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)



Sweet Themez on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm glad Sweet Themez is in the neighborhood. AdMo has been lacking on the cupcake front, and I'm glad that they have a few vegan options, too.

The Cupcake Critic said...

They're awesome! I love that they have so many options available and they are open until 1AM on the weekends. Next time you go, tell them 'The Critic' says, "Hi" Thx for posting! :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...