Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Johnna Knows Good Food: Whole Foods Market Review


(Photo courtesy of Johanna Knows Good Food)

Review: Whole Foods Market, Downtown Silver Spring, MD
Flavors: Cherry vanilla, lemon lime and cola 
Price: $3.98 

If you read Johnna Knows Good Food, then you know sweets rarely make it in my house.  There are the few that creep through the door and force me to indulge in my sweet tooth.   That’s where Whole Foods cupcakes come into play. Whole Foods houses quite a few of my favorite things i.e. lean, local poultry, fresh market veggies, etc.  I surprised myself when one day I decided to stroll over to the pastry department only to discover I might have a secret obsession with cupcakes.  

When entertaining myself with the muffin top treats, I always stay in the safe zone with flavors such as vanilla or strawberry. The toppings I tend to get a little liberal with when they boast interesting ingredients such as amaretto or licorice.  On this particular visit, I stepped all the way out of my comfort zone with Whole Foods line up of Soda Pop cupcakes.  Simply the thought of implementing old school Soda Pop into cupcakes mesmerized my taste buds.  I had to have one. Flavors such as cherry vanilla, lemon lime and cola filled the glass display looking much like a scene you would find in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.  I said this along time ago but multiple colors pull people in and that’s exactly what happened with me as I proceeded to order one of each.  Moist, with a perfect sugar balance, the cupcakes made me wonder why I did not indulge in this more often. 


The reminder of soda pop, however, was only apparent in the use of 50’s style swirls and colors.  If you had your eyes closed you would not think of soda pop on your first bite, rather a nice afternoon treat would come to mind. Since Whole Foods is actually a market (a rather large market), I will not put it in the grocery store category, rather I will say for a market this size, they know how to produce quality to the masses. 

The cupcakes, needless to say, passed my sweets test and could take up some counter space in my domain. To save myself from being yelled at by my Dentist for cavities, however, I’ll reserve these for special occasions only, but I now know where to go for a quick, sweet, good cupcake fix.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...