Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Savvy Treats


Savvy Treats logo

Review: Savvy Treats
Location: Online/ Delivery
Flavors: Raspberry Lemonade, Vanilla, Salted Caramel and Carrot Cake
Price: $29 per dozen or 2 dozen minis
Score: 3.7


Amidst the growing number of online and delivery based bakeries, some simply stand out. After happing upon Savvy Treats’ Facebook page, I was intrigued with their very professional photos, prim logo and tri-color packaging. What sold me was the banner pic of a kind woman posing in her kitchen with an apron on. That woman is owner Cheryl Savastano who took her knowledge of sales, baking, and marketing and decided to go full-time with her dream of Savvy Treats.
Savvy Treats' Packaging 
Copyright: The Cupcake Critic
Known amongst friends, family and co-workers for her signature carrot cakes, she began to get orders for them and had a light bulb moment for Savvy Treats. Now she creates her mini-cupcakes for corporate galas, catering companies and even real estate open houses. Having been open for less than a year, she’s already hired a professional cake decorator for her specialty cake orders and leases commercial kitchen space. 
Savvy Treats' Signature Carrot Cake Cupcake 
(Photo courtesy of  Savvy Treats)
On a muggy afternoon, I met with Cheryl who graciously presented her well-branded goods and supplied me with four flavors: signature carrot cake, raspberry lemonade, salted caramel with caramel filling and vanilla bean. After an awesome presentation, I made it home with the cupcakes choosing to start off with the minis.

Vanilla Cupcake (Photo courtesy of Savvy Treats)
Retailing for $29 per 2 dozen, the minis are the perfect 2-bite treat. I was disheartened that they were mounded with frosting but they served their diminutive purpose. I tried the vanilla bean cupcake first which was a bit sweet with a dense texture. The flavor was there but it was hard to define which is necessary in a vanilla cupcake. Next up was the raspberry lemonade which had a great flavor and texture but was a tad too sweet for my taste.

Raspberry Lemonade Cupcake
(Photo courtesy of Savvy Treats)
My next cupcake was the salted caramel which I adored! I could taste the homemade goodness in the hand spun caramel. I also liked the caramel filling which was just right and not too sweet. My final and absolute favorite cupcake was her signature carrot cake. This cupcake is a winner! I can see why people fawn, praise and chase Cheryl down for her carrot cakes.

Savvy Treats' Salted Caramel Cupcake
(Photo courtesy of Savvy Treats)
The cake was the perfect balance of carrot, nuts, pineapple and coconut. Exceptionally moist and very flavorful, I was sad to eat my last bite. The frosting was a tad sweet but all-in-all a great accompaniment to delicious cake. Look for Savvy Treats at pop-ups around DC and definitely visit their Facebook page. This is a savvy woman serving up some savvy treats!

*The cupcakes in this review were gifted however that did not sway the opinions of the reviewer. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...