Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Cake Courtesan

The Cake Courtesan in Bowie, MD
Location: The Cake Courtesan 6926 Laurel-Bowie Rd Bowie, MD
Flavors: Vanilla, Key Lime, Split Decision and Monkey Business
Cost: $2.75
Score: 4


Outfitted in gold and silver filigree, The Cake Courtesan is a cake-lovers dream. Despite being inaccessible by metro, its Bowie, MD location is car friendly with abundant parking. Having opened its doors a few months ago after closing down in Annapolis as Nostolgia Bakery, owner Sharon White eagerly shows off her cake designs which, I would pit against master baker Ron Ben Israel any day. 
The Cake Courtesan display case and register
At only $2.75 a pop, I've found myself making 3 trips in less than two weeks. The first time, I went on a whim and walked out with the Monkey Business cupcake. The Monkey Business cupcake is a banana cake with a vanilla buttercream frosting topped with chocolate drizzle and nuts. I enjoyed the banana cake although I found it a bit stiff leaving the luscious and frothy frosting to balance it out.

The Cake Courtesan's Wedding Consultation Station
On my second visit, I arrived five minutes before closing and was stuck with a left-over vanilla on vanilla cupcake. It had great flavor and the vanilla buttercream frosting was flavorful but understandably, the texture was a bit dense as it was approaching expiration. I can't hold that against them.

On my last attempt, I got the yummy key-lime cupcake and, ironically, the Split Decision cupcake. I reference the irony because the clerk (whom I discovered was Myra Weston of Myra's Popcorn Palace in Annapolis) patiently waited as I combed through the wide selection of cupcakes finally arriving at the  Split Decision cupcake.

Key-Lime and Vanilla Cupcakes 

The Split Decision cupcake is a chocolate and vanilla marble cake with chocolate and vanilla swirled buttercream frosting. Think of it as your favorite chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cone in cupcake form-Yeah, that good! By the time I got home and ate the key-lime cupcake, I was pleasantly surprised at the genuine flavor and layer-cake like texture. I cut the cupcake in half to save it for later but later came within ten minutes. I wanted to get another but was too embarrassed to make two trips in one day. I'm now waiting for the weekend. 

The Monkey Business Cupcake
Overall The Cake Courtesan is a welcomed addition to the community and after many prayers and would-be-deals with God, I felt that he had heard my cry. With each visit the store clerks were more than patient and very efficient at getting me in and out. Further in each cake you could taste the diligent approach to baking and the craft itself. Despite having a heavy presence of chocolate on their menu, the variety is there and there is something for everybody. 

2 comments:

J'aime said...

On your next trip try the salted caramel! They got me hooked when they were in Annapolis. Melty, delicious, sweet and with the perfect amount of salt! :) Also, no need to be embarrassed by two trips in one day. I'm all for it!

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...