Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Dragonfly Desserts

Clockwise: Peanut Butter Cup, Hummingbird, Turtle
 and Pineapple Right Side-Up
Location: Dragon Fly Desserts Waldorf, MD (Delivery)
Flavors: Sweet Potato, Peanut Butter Cup, Hummingbird, Turtle and Pineapple 
Cost: $20 per dozen 
Score: 4

Dragonfly Desserts is a delivery based cupcake shop based out of Waldorf, MD. Owned by Justin and Kim ( a DC police officer and a retired nurse), the husband and wife duo took their small cupcake business full scale after renovating their house to include an industrial kitchen and turning their garage into a complete work space. But that's what happens when you get over 18 dozen orders a day from the DC police force alone. 

Dragon Fly Dessets: Pineapple Surprise and Turtle Candy
On this chilly Friday morning, Justin delivered a half dozen of their best flavors: hummingbird, sweet potato, turtle, pineapple right-side up, and peanut butter cup. Although my cupcakes were gifted, a traditional dozen retails for $20 with no delivery fee. Their menu boasts 44 flavors with all flavors featuring their signature cream cheese frosting (although it can be substituted for buttercream upon request). 

Pineapple Right Side-Up cupcake with cherry center

The first cupcake that I tried was the pineapple right side-up cake. Not only are pineapple cupcakes my favorite but this cake offered a surprise maraschino cherry in the middle-Score! The Critic loves maraschino cherries! Next up was the sweet potato cupcake which was super moist and had a very homemade feel about it. My pineapple cupcake had hints of Betty Crocker (tsk,tsk) so I was pleased to see that this one was more authentic.

Dragonfly Desserts' Sweet Potato Cupcake
(Photo courtesy of Dragonfly Desserts)
The hummingbird cupcake was a real delight because I had never had one before. I was curios to try their flavor and see what all of the fuss was about. But the cupcake didn't disappoint. There was a perfect balance of flavor, texture and their signature cream cheese. I found myself wanting another one when finished. 


Thereafter was the Turtle cupcake which I found to be inventive. It was a chocolate cupcake with a cream cheese frosting and a caramel and pecan drizzle. Not bad for a very ambitious venture. It was moist and had a signature feel. 
L-R: Hummingbird Cupcake and a Turtle Cupcake
My final and favorite cupcake was the peanut butter cup cupcake. Traditionally I'm not prone to exotic flavors but this cupcake was so good I wanted another! The peanut butter frosting was smooth and not to husky. The chocolate cake was moist and had the perfect amount of peanut chips (which can be redundant unless you adore peanut butter). 


Peanut Butter Cup Cupcake
(Photo courtesy of  Dragonfly Desserts)

Overall I enjoyed my 6 pack and was happy that Justin assured me that if I ever found myself cupcake-less in Prince George's to give him a call. It's nice to know you've got 'people'. Happy Eating Cupcake Lovers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...