Friday, January 6, 2012

The Best of 2011: A Year in Review

Best Overall: Crunkcakes



With names like ‘Boozy Breakfast’ and ‘Dirty Pillow’ these cupcakes are in a class all their own. Liquor infused, packaged to perfection and priced oh-so-sweetly, they deserve all the accolades that they get. They ‘rep’ the DMV on their logo by giving the District of Columbia’s flag a cupcake spin. They can be found at any of these DC hotspots: Sova, The Rock N Roll hotel and H Street Bakes (seasonal). Read my review here
                         
           Best Customer Service: Sprinkles


Despite the fact that I dream about Sprinkles, the Sprinkles staff in Georgetown is superb! Every customer’s name is taken down with their order; every flavor is explained and each order is hand-delivered. There are enough staff members to defray lines and I’ve never seen an employee who looked like they were two steps from mutiny. Did I mention that I dream about them? Read my review here*Runner Up: Sweet Bites Desserts
                      
    Best Presentation: Enjoi Cupcakes



When I first encountered Enjoi Cupcakes the owners were suited up in their Enjoi Cupcake gear and their mascot, The Cupcake Princess, was in tow with her cupcake wand and fairy princess costume. Needless to say, she was cuter than Christmas. Their cupcakes, which were featured at Georgetown’s Marvelous Market for a summer pop-up, have always been stellar and nothing less than top notch. Aside from Sprinkles, I dream about Enjoi and their strawberry cupcakes! As the saying goes, “You eat with your eyes” and Enjoi has mastered that (amongst many things). Read my review here.             
   
Best Variety: Baked and Wired


Aside from being a D.C. favorite (their review received the most views after Crunkcakes), Baked and Wired has more than earned their designation with over 25 flavors that include: Pretty Bitchin, Flapjack (maple brown butter cake with maple buttercream frosting topped with caramelized bacon), Chocolate Cupcake of Doom (chocolate on dark chocolate) and The Elvis Impersonator (a banana cupcake with chocolate and peanut butter frosting). Although some flavors are seasonal, these small batches are baked daily so get it while you can! Read my review here                                     

                Best Location: Hello Cupcakes

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Hello Cupcakes because they were one of the first cupcakeries I went to as ‘The Critic’. Their Dupont Circle location is metro accessible and close to my favorite lunch spot Cosi. With a new location opening in the up-and-coming Barrack’s Row area, I give kudos to Hello Cupcakes for giving their customers more metro accessible options. Read my review here. *Runner Up: Red Velvet Cupcakery 
 
                      
Best in Cost: Georgetown Cupcakes

                      
Despite having a cupcake empire, Georgetown Cupcakes are reasonably priced at $2.75. This has proven to be a very savvy marketing tactic to stave off DC newcomer, Sprinkles, and any other competition for that matter. All things considered they give customers quality, variety and size at a price tag much cheaper than area cupcakeries (despite being the Vera Wang of cupcakes). Read my review here.


Best Red Velvet: Olivia’s Cupcakes
Photo courtesy of Olivia's Cupcakes
                     
It’s not a secret that The Critic isn’t fond of red velvet cupcakes *Flashback to childhood memories* but Olivia’s Cupcakes’ red velvet cupcakes makes me a believer! Moist, flavorful and the perfect amount of chocolate flavor, because of Olivia’s Cupcakes *sniff* I can love again… Read my review here.




Who’s your best of the best? Let me know @DCCupcakeCritic or at DCCupcakeCritic@gmail.com. Happy Eating Cupcake Lovers!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...