Friday, January 6, 2012

Sweet Bites Food Truck


Location: Sweetbites /DC Food Truck
Flavors: Pina Colada
Cost: $3
Score: 4.8

The Sweet Bites Truck (Photo courtesy of Sweet Bites)

I ventured over to Truckaroo this past Friday anxious to hit up Curbside Cupcakes and get a lobster roll from Redhook. While there I saw Sweet Bites Desserts and their pink yet unobtrusive, colored truck. Considering that the lines at Truckaroo rival a Rolling Stones concert, I was curious as to why there were no customers but the lights were on. As I approached the truck, I saw a nice lady eager to wait on whoever would walk by. I asked, “Do you still have cupcakes or are you closed?” She perked up, “No, we’re open but we only have pina colada” SCORE!


Pina colada cupcake scored from Truckaroo
Sweet Bites service is impeccable! Their uniforms were both neat and clean. I didn’t feel like, “Please ma’am, tell me that you’ve bathed and had a recent STD test prior to baking/cooking or serving me my food”. Served in a cute white bag with a logo sticker equally as cute, I couldn’t wait to dig in.


image1
Photo Courtesy of Sweet Bites Desserts
Traditionally coconut or pina colada cupcakes follow standard fare: hit coconut, make a left at pineapple and make a U on extra sweet, but not Sweet Bites. They actually made a Pina Colada cupcake! I could taste the liquor and even felt a little buzz within my first bite. It was fresh, crisp and not a cheap imitation with chewy penny candy flavoring. Not too crumbly. Not too moist. The cupcake just melted in your mouth. As far as I was concerned Sweet Bites was bonafied.
image1
Photo courtesy of Sweet Bites 
According to their website they have 10 cupcake flavors. In addition they carry muffins, tarts and dessert bars. The only reason that they didn’t get a 5 is because they did only have one flavor left so I can’t comment on their variety. Further they do serve food out of a truck which means if you want to taste these delectable bites, you must follow them on twitter (@sweetbitestruck). There you can find out where they are and what flavors they have in store. But if the pina colada was any indication, you won’t be disappointed!

*Originally published in July 2011

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...