Friday, January 6, 2012

Fresh Bakery: Arundel Mills Mall

Kiosk cupcake display/ chandelier

Location: Fresh Bakery 7000 Arundel Mills Circle Hanover, MD
Flavors: Lemon, Pina-Colada, Vanilla on Chocolate
Cost: $3.50
Score: 3.8

Recently, I was given a tip from the cupcake-loving community to check out Fresh bakery; a Maryland based bakery with kiosks in Arundel Mills, Columbia and Owings Mills Mall. Feigning to hit up the new Coach store, I sojourned to Arundel Mills Mall. Located between the food court and TJ Maxx, I accidentally walked past the small vendor’s cart. Decorated with an elaborate chandelier and small jewelry boxes housing cupcakes, their décor was attractive but didn’t shout- "Cupcakes are sold here”.

Photos courtesy of Fresh Bakery
Photos courtesy of Fresh Bakery

It was a Sunday and at the end of the day so I was concerned about the selection and freshness. The cashier assured me that the goods were baked fresh that morning. Circling the kiosk I saw chocolate on chocolate, vanilla on chocolate, orange dreamsicle, lemon on lemon, pina colada and red velvet. I went with my standards: lemon, pina colada/coconut and vanilla on chocolate. My treats were housed in a simple plain white box and much to my chagrin, no pretty bag or memento.

Prior to leaving the parking lot, I tore into the pina colada cupcake which would be my favorite of the bunch! The cupcake was rich with a moist texture that was flavorful but not overpowering. The cake and the frosting didn’t fight one another but worked in harmony. Although I detected a hint of Betty Crocker box cake mix that had been doctored up, they still got my vote for the “this could have been baked in my grandmother’s kitchen” (and no one’s cupcakes will ever compare to the ones prepared in my grandmother’s kitchen).

Photo courtesy of Fresh Bakery
Photo courtesy of Fresh Bakery

Next up was the chocolate cake with vanilla frosting. I really enjoyed this cupcake as the chocolate was rich and the frosting was, as Charlie Sheen would say, ‘Winning’! I didn’t do the ‘Dougie’ but perhaps a mild Kappa shiver was in order. Finally the lemon cupcake was fresh and well, exciting (cue Kool & the Gang). Moist in texture but big on flavor without overpowering itself, and frosting that would have you wondering: “Why didn’t I get two?”


Regarding their customer service, I could only expect so much from the young lady who waited on me. It was the end of the evening and I was buying cupcakes from a kiosk in the mall. So the fact that she was on the phone for most of the transaction doesn’t really speak to the customer service but to the fact that I was buying cupcakes at a kiosk in an outlet mall. Further for $3.50 a pop and no swag bag for my loot with hints of boxed cake, I can’t give them a full 4 but may find myself back.

PS: Did I mention that their cupcakes are square? I know, cute right?


4 comments:

Kathy A. said...

OMG!! I get the pina colada cupcake whenever I'm in Annapolis Mall.

yumyum90 said...

The apple pie and strawberry cupcake is to die for! The cake is moist, it actually has real fruit baked into the cake and the icing is just sweet enough. This place is a gem. I agree about the customer service, it defintely is lacking but I could eat a half dozen of these anyday!

The Cupcake Critic said...

Hi Kathy!! I like their pina colada too! Gotta go back sometime :0) Thx for posting!

The Cupcake Critic said...

Wow! I didn't know that they had an apple pie cupcake!! I gotta try it the next time I go! Strawberry cuppies are my favorites! Thanks for posting :0)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...