Friday, January 6, 2012

Bakeocracy

Review: Bakeocracy
Location: Alexandria, VA (pick-up or delivery only)
Flavors: Coconut, Lemon and Red Velvet
Price: $20 /dozen
Score: 3.9

As the cupcake craze moves forward and the tummies of Americans grow larger, even professionals are getting in on the action. Enter Bakeocracy, the baking democracy and its owner, Fern Simmons. Fern is a very spirited woman who practices law during the day and bakes yummy cupcakes by night.
(Photo Courtesy of Bakeocracy)

I first heard about Bakeocracy when they reached out to me on Twitter (@DCCupcakeCritic). After several tweets from avid Bakeocracy followers, I too wanted in on the action. According to their website they offer 12 flavors ranging from vanilla to key-lime pie and cinnamon swirl. At $20 per dozen, pick-up is available from their Alexandria location with limited delivery in the DC area (for a small fee).

Bakeocracy Red Velvet (Photo Courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
On this Saturday afternoon, I would be treated to their coconut, lemon and red velvet flavors. Per usual, it didn’t take long for me to bite into all the cupcake goodness. Due to technical difficulties I tasted the red velvet one first. Let me tell you, it doesn’t get any better than this! The cake was good and the cream cheese frosting was perfect. I almost shed a tear when I got to the last bite.
it flipped over in the box,

Bakeocracy flavors: lemon, coconut & red velvet. (Photo Courtesy of The Cupcake Critic)
Next up were the coconut and lemon. Both cupcakes were smooth with great texture and flavor. My only complaint would be that the frosting had a cream cheese base which gave it a custard-like texture and flavor (think coconut custard or a lemon cream pie). This is simply a matter of personal opinion and in no way would I kick this cupcake off my plate.

Overall I enjoyed these cupcakes and felt my voice was heard- it is good! Cast your ballad and tell me what you think about them.

*Originally published on 12/29/2011

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...