Friday, January 6, 2012

Georgetown Scoops




Location: Georgetown Scoops 2818 Pennsylvania Ave (Georgetown)
Flavors: Red Velvet
Price: $2.70
Score: 4

Before I begin, I must preface that I had no intentions of stopping by Georgetown Scoops. After a long day of hiking through the Smithsonian and visiting the newly erected memorial for Dr. Martin Luther King, I felt that I deserved a great lunch and some cupcakes. After having lunch at Johnny Rockets, my companion and I swung by Sprinkles for cupcakes in key lime and strawberry. Walking back to the Foggy Bottom metro station, we passed by Georgetown Scoops.

Georgetown Scoops is a tiny shop just large enough to serve several varieties of sorbet, ice cream and gelato. A portion of the display case is reserved for the beautiful and beloved cupcakes! Arrayed with several flavors for a display that small, they featured peanut butter chunk, cookies & cream and red velvet. Given that I am not prone to exotic flavors, I ordered the red velvet with cream cheese frosting.



First bites are everything and as soon as I sunk my teeth into the sumptuous treat, I could get past the snippy nature of the man working the counter. These cupcakes were cool! Well worth the trek from what felt like the Stone Mountains of Georgia, I was pleased with my purchase. The cake was moist and soft all at once; flavorful and just a great treat!! Considering that Georgetown Scoops specializes in ice cream and not cupcakes, I felt that they deserved a pat on the back for attempting such complicated flavor choices successfully.

Priced well at $2.70 per cupcake, I was more than pleased with my journey and efforts. Although they are located on the outskirts of Georgetown, I wouldn’t make a special trip to see them but if you are in the neighborhood-it’s worth it. Overall they got a well deserved 4.

Finally, a huge 'Congratulations!' goes to the fraternity of Alpha Phi Alpha for their tireless efforts in fundraising and erecting a magnificent structure for their fellow Alpha. If you haven’t been to the King Memorial definitely put it on your social calendar while the weather still permits. You won’t be disappointed.

*Originally Published on September 22, 2011

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...