Friday, January 6, 2012

Curbside Cupcake

Curbside Cupcake
Location: Food Truck (varies) Washington, DC
Flavors: Lemon & Vanilla Classic
Price: $3
Score: 4.75


Photo courtesy of Curbside Cupcake
I was geeked when I first heard about Truckeroo! It’s a food-lover’s dream! This is where area food trucks come together to hock their digestible wares in a centralized location. Given the recent cupcake craze, it didn’t take long for them to also be sold out of a moving vehicle. 


When I first went to Truckeroo in July, Curbside Cupcake was sold out (ain’t that a *beep*). The second time around I was prepared. I got there much earlier and with flat-soled shoes. Once in line, their outdoor menu denoted that there were only four flavors left: vanilla, chocolate, lemon and snicker doodle (whittled down from the original 8 that were offered that day).


Photo courtesy of Curbside Cupcake

As expected the line was ridiculously long but moved very fast. Manning the truck was one-half of the husband and wife duo who own the truck. When I placed my order, I had my money in hand, and my order ready: “One vanilla and one lemon please!” The service was friendly, fast and efficient with the total transaction time under one minute! (Hey, that rhymes!)

One thing that I can say about Curbside is that they are classic! Their vanilla cupcake had a homemade appeal which I enjoy. Not overdone, moist, and classic at best. Their flavors are traditional such as vanilla (not Madagascan vanilla bean with shaved cinnamon bark), but simply vanilla. When dealing in cupcakes overkill should be a crime. The beauty of cupcakes is their individual simplicity. Save the layered experience for an actual cake which allows for nuances like Madagascan vanilla bean with shaved cinnamon bark.


Coconut Key-Lime (Photo courtesy of Curbside Cupcake)
Next up was the lemon. This one was the star in the lineup. The lemon frosting was fresh but not zesty (which is good). The cake was moist, appreciative and had great texture. The size was appropriate for the price tag and appeared to be what a cupcake should be: a treat and not a decorative ornament.

Although there were only three flavors left at Truckeroo, Curbside definitely offered variety. I was no less than pleased with my purchase however, like a true cupcake fan, I was disheartened that they have no centralized location. Like other food trucks they must be stalked and hunted to get the goods. Luckily there’s twitter! Follow their pink trucks (three to be exact) on Twitter @curbsidecupcakes to know where they are and what they are offering. 


Happy Eating!

*Originally published August 2011

Curbside Cupcakes on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...