Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Cakery



Location: The Cakery 6776 Race Track Rd Bowie, MD
Flavors: Spice cake with honey butter frosting and almond cake with vanilla frosting.
Price : $2.50
Score:  2.5
The Cakery is a cozy bakery located on the backside of Hilltop Top Plaza in the sleepy section of Bowie, MD. Getting there by vehicle is optimal although it is on the metro bus line. The tiny shop houses two small cases chocked full of cookies, muffins, breads and yes, cupcakes. Immediately I was greeted by the shop’s owner who spoke to me like you would an old friend.
Although my choices were slight (there were only 3 or 4 flavors available and two of those were chocolate on chocolate and mandarin surprise), I ordered what appeared to be the most appetizing: a spice cake with honey butter frosting.  From a presentation standpoint, the cupcakes were beautiful. Dressed in perfectly white cupcake liners, sitting atop a prim doily and housed in a white box.  The only thing missing was a picket fence.
After ringing me up (my total was $2.50), the shop owner informed me that the cupcakes were buy one get one free. (Yes!) So, I ordered the almond cupcake with vanilla frosting. I was very pleased with the customer service and couldn’t wait to dig in.
When I tasted the spice cupcake, sadly, it was like a bland corn muffin topped with a misshapen ball of slightly sweetened butter. The almond cupcake was equally disappointing. It was also a sad reminder that cupcake abuse does occur in America. The texture was crumbly and the flavor was without direction. Overall The Cakery wins for customer service, price and presentation but loses horribly on taste and texture- which is really what this whole food thing is about.

2 comments:

Johnna said...

Pretty cupcake! Makes me want to head out to Bowie.

Anonymous said...

im not surprised. i hate their cakes, but my mom loves them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...