Friday, January 6, 2012

Rolling Pin Bakery


Location: Bladensburg, MD
Varieties: Yellow cake with Coconut, Lemon, Strawberry, Chocolate or Vanilla Frosting
Cost: $2
Score: 2.00

After suffering from a nasty stomach flu that left me feeling weaker than an empty Capri Sun, I decided to cheer myself up with some cupcakes. I had received a flyer in the mail for a free cupcake from the Rolling Pin Bakery and thought, “Why not?” Although the bakery is metro bus accessible, driving there would be ideal. Even in a vehicle, I accidentally passed the bakery which is located in a strip mall next to Missy’s Nails and Chicken Pollo.

L-R: Vanilla, Coconut, Strawberry, Chocolate, Lemon
Walking in reminded me of the bakeries I frequented as a child. Although The Rolling Pin isn’t modern, it doesn’t exude ‘Rat-droppings sold here’ either. Their staff was cordial but don’t expect sweeping or grand gestures. Looking at the murky display case, I noticed that all the cupcakes consisted of yellow or chocolate cake with rotated  strawberry, vanilla, chocolate, lemon, butter cream or coconut frosting. There was a red velvet cupcake but it didn’t seem 
worthwhile.




Sadly, these sponges with frosting were posing as cupcakes! The cake was dry and crumbly like they had been left out for several days! The coconut cupcake, which I tasted first, was a sad clone of the vanilla cupcake with shaved coconut. Normally, I favor the lemon and strawberry flavors but the lemon cupcake reeked of commercial grade flavoring leaving me only to taste the shortening filler. The strawberry cupcake had mildly redemptive qualities but skimped on the natural strawberry and reminded me of strawberry crème sandwich cookies. The vanilla cupcake, which should be easy to master, was a waste of space and no one with taste buds would willingly eat it.

I had to close the box on these

Finally for this review, the chocolate cupcake would be the team’s franchise player. Any points derived rode on the shoulders of the chocolate cupcake. The frosting was rich and not too sweet. I actually enjoyed eating it where the others proved difficult.

Overall, the cupcakes are more useless than a bike with two-flats. Although only $2 per cupcake, this is the first time in history that I actually wanted to march back into a bakery and ask for my money back! I was tempted not to even write about The Rolling Pin but I want to diversify the selection of cupcakes and include suburban areas- which I shall continue to do.

*Originally published on 11/15/2011

Rolling Pin Bakery, Inc on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...